Thursday, February 2, 2012

CHD Awareness

February is CHD Awareness Month, and a dear friend of mine is working with some other heart moms to put together a CHD pinterest board.  You can check it out here.  CHD (Congenital Heart Defects) are the #1 birth defect with 1 out of 100 children affected. 

I remember taking Joel to see our pediatrician, Dr. Roy, a couple of months after Samuel died.  When he realized I was Samuel's mom, his eyes filled with compassion, and he put his hand on my arm and told me how sorry he was.  He knows Dr. V, Samuel's pediatric cardiologist, and Dr. V sent him updates all throughout Samuel's life.  Apparently Dr. Roy followed all the diagnoses, Samuel's progress, and everything that happened during his 31 days.  I will never forget him telling me, "Maybe if Samuel had been born in 20 years, he would have survived.  I think the things Samuel suffered from are some of the things medical advances will really be able to help someday."  Perhaps raising CHD awareness will be part of those advances.  So pass the pinterest board along!

(Pinterest is an online pinboard where you can "pin" pictures with captions to be viewed and shared by others.  You can read about the CHD pinboard here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment