Friday, January 14, 2011

And the Verdict Is...

We had our appointment today!  Phew.  We got to see "Tad" for a long time while the sonographer looked at every possible thing.  The brain, spine, bones, kidneys, etc all looked good.  The one thing they couldn't get a very good look at is the heart.  Baby is still quite small and is positioned in a difficult spot for good heart pictures.  They didn't see anything to cause concern at this point, but we really won't know any specifics until we see Samuel's pediatric cardiologist in three weeks.  I was disappointed to not get more info on the heart, but Bryan saw it as an answer to prayer.  He really doesn't want unnecessary speculation and feels like we've been spared the drama of "Well, we'd really like to see ________, but sometimes it just isn't clear yet at this gestational age.  We'll look more in a few weeks...."  After all the changing diagnoses with Samuel and all the ups and downs of those changes, we are happy to have no news for the time being.

We did find out that we're having a....
GIRL!  I am still in shock a little bit.  Bryan has predicted a girl from the beginning, but I have resisted believing it.  We have boys.  And on Bryan's dad's side of the family, in three generations, there have been 17 boys and only 3 girls.  The most recent girl is 24 years old!  So I kind of figured the odds were against a daughter.  However, I am THRILLED that we're having one.  I would have been equally thrilled with a boy.  I told Bryan that I will be asking at every sonogram if she is still a girl.  It's going to take awhile for me to really believe it.  I burst into tears when the sonographer told us, and every time I hear Bryan tell a family member on the phone, I start to cry again.  I called my mom shortly after the appointment with every intention of telling her myself, and I got as far as, "We're having a..." before I started crying and thrust the phone into Bryan's hands because I couldn't spit it out.

When we got home, we set up a little scavenger hunt for the boys to find out the gender.  They traipsed through the house following clues and eventually came to the bathtub where pink balloons were hiding.  Their reaction was completely anti-climactic because they were so enamored with the balloons that the girl factor barely phased them.  A couple of minutes later, though, they were both beaming and so proud and excited.  They're going to be GREAT big brothers to a baby sister.  Caleb has wanted a baby sister ever since I can remember.  With each pregnancy, he has consistently said he wants a sister.  His wish is finally coming true.  :)

God was gracious to us today in granting us a lot of peace before the appointment and even an abundance of joy during it, as we waited for news on baby's health.  I am sure some of that peace is because many of you were praying for us, and for that I cannot thank you enough.  Thank you!  We went to dinner tonight to celebrate, and tomorrow we're going to go get some special dessert as a family to celebrate some more.  We're thanking God tonight!

17 weeks pregnant

10 comments:

  1. Kathryn, we are praying for a wonderful and healthy baby girl!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Kathryn and Bryan! I am praying for a peaceful pregnancy and a healthy baby GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Enjoy all the PINK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! God KNOWS exactly what you NEED. So happy to hear about this precious little girl. You are going to LOVE having a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you guys!!! You don't know me, but I've been following your blog for a little while now. I'm a NICU nurse at Northside and also attend North Point. I was there the Sunday Bryan baptized the gentleman who also lost a child. I said to myself...hey that's the Dad of the blog I read who lost his precious son this year...and then heard Joel mentioned it and tears filled my eyes. Congratutions on your current pregnancy and little GIRL! Thankful for the peace God's granted you during this time.
    Pregnancy is a time in life when I realize that I have NO control over things, and its easy to let anxiety creep in. Glad we both know the God who holds EVERYTHING in his hands! I have two little ones and have had two early losses but am currently expecting TOO! A little over a week behind you :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Apinis family! One thing I've learned about having a boy and then a girl is that I cannot rely on comparisons between the two...they are so different. This has been a blessing because it constantly reminds me that each child of God is uniquely different! It's easy to get stuck in a rut of rote expectation, labeling and the comfort of prediction. God wants us to think bigger than that! Girls bring different kind of joys than boys...but both kinds of joy reflect an aspect of God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. =) =) =) =) =) =)

    CONGRATULATIONS on this sweet, sweet news. Continuing to pray for peace, a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby girl. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i posted to bryan's FB last night, but CONGRATS! such wonderfully exciting news. i always wanted a houseful of boys...but our lucy girl has brought so much to our family. i can't imagine not having a girl now. she will certainly be as beautiful as her mommy - you look gorgeous, kathryn! continuing to pray for this child, you, bryan & the boys...& for the amazing work that God's doing with & in your life for HiStory & glory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whee!! Congrats! Girls are fun in their own way. :) You look fabulous. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed for an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I already posted on facebook, but just had to say again...CONGRATS! So, so excited for y'all. What a sweet blessing she will be in your family. :o)

    ReplyDelete